Dr Mirza Ahmad, the former Corporate Director of Governance at Birmingham CC joins St Philips
St Philips is delighted to announce that Dr Mirza Ahmad, former Corporate Director of Governance at Birmingham City Council, is to join us as a member of chambers on the 1st of November 2011.
As Chief Legal Officer of the largest local authority in Europe, he became one of the most recognised figures in Local Authority leadership, and will bring with him a wealth of high level experience gained over the last 26 years in local government legal services.
Dr Ahmad said: "It is a great honour and a privilege for me to join St Philips, as it is nationally recognised as a leading set of Barristers Chambers. The move to St Philips Chambers is a choice inspired by the knowledge that it is already exceptionally well placed to serve all local authorities and the public sector in the UK, not just those based in the Midlands.
"In terms of my legal practice, I plan to capitalise on my 26 years of high level experiences in local government legal, focusing on high level ethical & corporate governance and other legal work associated with local authorities and the public sector. Alongside my new colleagues I hope to build on the services already offered by St Philips to deliver specialist legal expertise to the Local Authority and Public Sector market "
Commenting on his appointment Kevin Hegarty QC, Head of Chambers, said: "St Philips has built a strong reputation for local authority work, which is a key area for Chambers, especially given the changing legal services marketplace. Mirza's decision to join us will strengthen our team and will help to shape the services we can offer to clients in this sector in the future".
Chris Owen, St Philips CEO, said: "I have known Mirza for several years and am delighted he has decided to practice from St Philips. He is a most welcome addition to chambers local authority, public and administrative law team and news of his decision to join chambers has already been well received".
- Called to the Bar in 1984
- Chairman of the Bar Association for Local Government and the Public Service
- Member of the General Council of the Bar for England and Wales
- General Editor of "Knights Guide to Best Value and Public Procurement - Law & Practice" and "Employment Law & Practice for Local Government". He is also a member of Butterworth's Local Government Direct Editorial Board.
Further accreditations include:
- 2009/2010 - President of the Association of Council Secretaries and Solicitors'
- 2009 - Named in The Lawyer Magazine's "Hot 100" and his Department was "Highly Commended" in the Midlands Excellence Awards.
- 2008 - Led his Department to success in the Municipal Journal's Legal Achievement of the Year Award 2008 and was a Finalist in the Lawyer Awards 2008.
- 2007 - Profiled in the UK's Asian Power 100 Publication (November 2007) and, in February 2007, his Department won the Birmingham & Solihull Best Business Awards for the Development of Work-life Balance 2006. Mirza was also profiled, in February 2007, in the inaugural UK's Muslim Power 100 publication and he also won their Public Sector Excellence Award.
- 2006 - Named "Lawyer of the Month" by the Black Lawyers Directory in April 2006 and, in October 2006, his Department became the first legal practice in the UK - whether in the private, public or voluntary sector - to be awarded "Investors in Excellence", "Most Improved Organisation", "Corporate Social Responsibility" in the Midlands Excellence Awards 2006.
- 2005 - Named "Top 5 Lawyers in Local Government 2005" by the Local Government Chronicle (LGC) and, in March, his Department was awarded "Legal Team of the Year 2005" in the LGC Excellence Awards.