Elizabeth specialises in public and private law children act applications. She has a reputation for excellent client care, meticulous preparation and fearless advocacy. The primary focus of her practice is on complex public law applications involving serious allegations of sexual, physical and emotional abuse.
What the directories say:
- “She has expertise across the range of public and private children law matters.” – Legal 500 2019
- “A hugely experienced and robust advocate who fights her client’s corner with judgement and tenacity.” and “An excellent advocate. Very approachable and extremely thorough.” – Chambers UK 2019
- “A fantastic advocate with a calm and candid style.” – Legal 500
- “She is one of the best advocates I have ever seen in my life. She digests the case well and can see things from her client’s point of view. She always achieves the best results.” – Chambers and Partners 2016
- “She is a fair but robust advocate, extremely thorough and industrious, very good with clients and her drafting is excellent as well.” – Chambers and Partners 2016
- “She is a passionate and articulate advocate who is well liked by the judiciary.” “A tough fighter with very good client skills.” – Chambers and Partners 2015
- “Enjoys a strong reputation for her work in care proceedings, and is quickly becoming a favourite of instructing solicitors in this area. She represents local authorities, parents and guardians, and often handles cases involving serious allegations of physical, sexual or emotional abuse.”
- “She’s brilliant; extremely knowledgeable and robust, but with a fantastic bedside manner with the clients.” “I am impressed by her ability to communicate with clients and give practical advice.”
Qualifications and Appointments:
- BA (Hons) Dunelm
- Recorder on the North Eastern Circuit hearing private and public law applications.
- Association of Lawyers for Children
- Family Law Bar Association
- British Association of Adoption and Fostering
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Private Law Children and Domestic Abuse
Elizabeth has extensive experience of representing parents within private law litigation, together with applications to relocate in alternative jurisdictions. She has represented a number of parents who wish to return to their country of origin, together with those who wish to make a new life in an alternative jursidcition.
She has a wealth of experience of difficult and complex cases, particularly where there are allegations of sexual abuse or where there is dsputed expert evidence.
Elizabeth also sits as a Recorder dealing with private law disputes.+ Add to Brochure
Public Law Care and Adoption
Elizabeth represents local authorities, parents and the children's guardian in all proceedings at High and County Court level. She has extensive expereience of cases involving serious head injury ("shaking" injuries), together with other forms of serious physical and emotional abuse.
In recent years, she has been instructed in a number of very high profile cases concerning the death of a child. Those applications have culminated in lengthy fact finding hearings in the High Court, involving many thousands of pages of evidence, including extensive medical evidence. She has a good knowledge of the complicated inter-play between the criminal and family jurisdictions and has been involved in a number of cases where parties have asserted public interest immunity in relation to sensitive material.
She is regularly led but is also happy to appear against leading counsel in her own right.
Elizabeth has extensive experience of cases concerning fabricated and ficititious illness. Further, she has been engaged in a number of complex cases where the breakdown of an adoptive placement has been the issue and detailed consideration of the local authorities past conduct has been necessary. Elizabeth has an interest in the decision making processes and procedures of the local authority and the impact on parents engaged in care proceedings.
She has a particular interest in the representation of parents with a signficant learning disabiliy and the issues engaged in the appropriate assessment of their capacity to parent.
Elizabeth regularly delivers training to local practitioners and social workers. She took the lead in delivering training on Public Law Outline implementation to the local FLBA.
Re G  1 FLR 771
Re E (Wardship Order: Child in Voluntary Accomodation)  EWCA Civ 1773
Re LR (Children)  EWCA Civ 1129
Re K (Post-Adoption Placement Breakdown) 1 FLR 1
Re N (Death of a Child in the DRC: Order for Return: Contempt)  EWHC 337 (Fam) Coventry City Council v B, A, RK, KK  EWHC 4014 (Fam)+ Add to Brochure